What is National School Choice Week?
The goal of National School Choice Week (NSCW) is to raise public awareness of all types of education options for children. National School Choice Week shines a positive spotlight on all effective education options whether they are traditional public, public charter, magnet, virtual, private and home schools. To meet this goal, NSCW encourages schools, organizations, and individuals to hold positive events that celebrate school choice options, while drawing attention to the need for even greater opportunities for children. Starting in 2011, NSCW has grown to the world’s largest celebration of opportunity in education. The week is a nonpartisan, nonpolitical public awareness effort.
National School Choice Week 2018 is January 21st-27th.
Over 21,000 events will be held around the country to celebrate National School Choice Week – with over 300 of them happening right here in South Carolina!
What is the My SC Education Rally?
The 5th Annual My SC Education Rally is sponsored by a diverse array of stakeholders from every education option. The purpose of the rally is to:
- Raise parent awareness of existing school choice options.
- Start conversations across our state about the need for – and benefits of – education opportunity for every child.
- Thank elected officials for their support of expanding school choice.
On Wednesday, January 24th, students, parents, teachers and school leaders from around South Carolina will celebrate National School Choice Week 2018 with a high-energy rally. The rally begin at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center and finish at the South Carolina Statehouse.
- Pre-rally at the Convention Center begins at 10:30
- The march to the South Carolina Statehouse begins at 11:15
- Rally at the South Carolina Statehouse begins at 11:45
How can you participate?
What about transportation?
My SC Education is offering a limited number of buses for school groups, home school groups, and community organizations. Buses are available on a first come, first serve basis. For more information about busing please contact Shaunette Parker at [email protected]
What should we expect the day of the event?
Great music, motivating speakers, marching bands and even the National School Choice Week dance! Participants may begin arriving by 10:00 AM at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center located at 1101 Lincoln St. Columbia, SC 29201. If you are arriving by your own vehicle, parking will be available at the Convention Center.
School Choice Success in South Carolina
- Since 2014 the My SC Education Rally has grown from 250 to 3,000 participants – a 1100% increase!
- Exceptional SC, South Carolina’s tax credit scholarship program for students with special needs has raised over $9M to-date towards the 2016-2017 $10M cap. This is the largest amount ever raised in the program’s history. The cost to fully fund current students and those on the wait list is $25M.
- South Carolina’s charter school law turned 20 years old in 2016 and these public schools are steadily growing.
If you have additional questions about this event, please contact Shaunette Parker at [email protected] or 803-470-5476.